PLAI NATIONAL CONGRESS 2016: CALL FOR PAPERS
Theme: “Library as a Place: Continual Learning in the New Information Landscape”
The Philippine Librarians Association, Inc. (PLAI), in partnership with the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) through the National Committee on Libraries and Information Services (NCLIS) and the National Library of the Philippines (NLP), will be conducting its Annual National Congress on November 22-25, 2016 in Davao City.
1. To explore the concept of “Library as a Place” and the different strategies needed to transform libraries as a “Third Place”;
2. To examine how libraries can improve their facilities, create new programs, develop collections, and upgrade their services to meet the changing information needs of a multi-sectoral society;
3. To recognize the role of libraries as agents of development by implementing formal, informal, and lifelong learning programs;
4. To identify strategies on how libraries can work effectively with different stakeholders of society to develop, deliver, and sustain its programs, services, and access to information;
5. To identify functions and areas of collaboration for libraries, archives and museums (LAMs) as venues to promote personal, intellectual, cultural, and social development.
The Conference Committee invites submission of proposals for paper/oral (professional category) and poster (professional and/or student categories) presentations. The proposals should be in line with the general theme and based on the following sub-themes/topics:
I. Infrastructure (Space and Design)
Library building design, green technologies in libraries, spaces for social interactions and intellectual fora, community place, experiencing culture, disaster resilience/preparedness(building)
II. Collection and Services
Digital library, blended/hybrid collection, online collection, innovations, resource management, storage of print and digital collections, ICT, special collections, use and access, standards and accreditation
Profiling programs, special groups, user expectations, information literacy programs
IV. Management and Role of Librarians
Project management, partnerships, collaborations, directions, changing functions and roles of libraries and librarians, CPD for librarians, staff development programs, support of library/librarians associations, mentoring
V. Valuation, Marketing, Promotion, and Advocacy
Market research, social valuation, impact indicators, social marketing, Corporate Social Responsibility, Return of Investment
VI. Cultural Heritage and Preservation
Heritage preservation; restoration and conservation projects, preventive conservation
Paper/oral presentation (Professional Category): 20-30 minutes presentation, with 10-15 minutes for questions during the plenary session.
Poster presentation (Professional and Undergraduate Student Categories): Presentation describing the research project with the aid of the text and visuals in the poster (size: 2 ft wide and 5 ft tall). Author(s) must be present to interact and respond to the questions from the participants.
Proposals for paper and poster presentations should be submitted using the following format:
1. Title of Paper (in capital letters, Times New Roman font size 14)
2. Name of Presenter/s. Use * for the presenting author
3. Institution/Company Affiliation (including official designation and office address)
4. Contact details: email address and mobile number
5. Paper abstract (not more than 300 words, Times New Roman font, size 12)
6. Keywords (2-5 words)
7. Regional Council to which the member belongs
8. Author’s short bio (not more than 100 words for each author)
Proposals must be sent to:
PLAI Conference Committee
Indicate PLAI Congress Proposal Submission [Paper or Poster (Professional or Student Category)] in the subject line.
Please be informed that only upon the acceptance of the full paper (for oral presentation) by the Committee that you will be invited to present your paper at the conference.
May 30, 2016
Submission deadline of proposals
June 20, 2016
Notification of accepted proposals (paper and poster)
August 15, 2016
Submission deadline of full papers (oral presentation)
August 30, 2016
Final notification of acceptance and invitation for paper presentation
November 22-25, 2016
PLAI National Congress 2016
CONGRESS SUBSIDY AND BEST POSTER AWARD
Paper presenters: One author per approved proposal for paper presentation will be provided with airfare transportation subsidy (maximum of P3,000), free registration, and accommodation.
Poster presenters: One author per approved poster will be provided with 50% discount for registration only.
The Best Poster presentation will be awarded with P3,000 cash prize for professional and P 2,000 for undergraduate student category (with minimum of 5 entries for each category).
All selected abstracts will be published in the PLAI National Congress 2016 Book of Abstracts. Full papers (oral presentation) will undergo peer-review for possible inclusion in the PLAI Journal.
Proposals not selected for paper presentation may be considered for poster presentation due to the limited number of available slots. For the poster presentation, each Regional Council is encouraged to have submissions for both professional and undergraduate student categories. Regional eliminations may be conducted by the Regional Councils.